Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas In the City event for Homeless Children




Over this past Christmas break, I participated in a wonderful program called Christmas in the City (held on 12/22/13), which is 100% volunteer based program that hosts a beautiful Christmas event for children in homeless shelters near and around Boston. There was a total 4,000 homeless children and around 1,000 volunteers. As a volunteer, I was assigned to 6 children from the homeless shelter called Grandparents Silver Lining. Throughout the duration of the event, I bonded closely with each of the six children. They had quite a few unfortunate stories to tell. It made me realize that not every kid is as lucky as I am to have parents that care for me, that they must face countless hardships on a day to day basis, and that the emotions they must go through when they don't have parents to look after them everyday. I dedicated that entire day to make them feel loved and that someone really did care for them. I wanted them to be able to break free from their tough lives, even if it's for just one day. At the event, they had numerous activities/booths to go to (such as a mini zoo, mini aquarium, nail/hair salon, flu shots) and quite a large indoor carnival with a plethora of rides as well as plenty of food.

As a volunteer, I not only served them lunch, but I also took them around to each of the booths and rides to care and look after them. I specifically remember that after dismounting the dragon coaster ride, all the children came up to me and gave me a group hug, probably the most satisfying hug I have ever had. At the end of the event, each kid was given a few presents, and you should have seen just how wide their grins were.  To see them smile, to see them laugh, to see them happy, made my feel absolutely amazing; it made me feel that I can actually make a difference in someone's life, that I can make them feel like they will always be cared for, that they will always be loved. Through this event, I realized that medicine is not always about the science, it is also about caring for others and those in need. I remembered that "in the joy of others, lies our own" - Pramukh Swami Maharaj. Allowing these homeless children to enjoy and be carefree even just for one day certainly made my experience worthwhile and changed my view on medicine entirely.


No comments:

Post a Comment