Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Antibiotic Resistance - will we reach the post-antibiotic era?



"Imagine that you are going to your doctor because you have strep throat to get treated for it? The doctor then prescribes you with antibiotics to kill of the bacteria involved in causing it. However, imagine if these antibiotics were useless and had absolutely no effect in treating strep throat. Let me remind you, if strep goes untreated, it most certainly has the potential to be fatal" is how I start my TED-ed talk on Antibiotic Resistance. Watch my talk to learn more about the scare of Superbugs, which are a class of bacteria that are resistant to every antibiotic we have on the entire planet, meaning that we have no way of treating patients with these illnesses and has the potential to set us into an period where antibiotics will no longer work. Frightening right? In my 10-minute talk at Burlington High School, I created a series of 4-steps that each and every person should talk to stop the spread of superbugs. Click on the link below!


No comments:

Post a Comment